An Idea For Demon Realm (Again Again) Aug 29, 2019 15:06:39 GMT -6 Kalaboo, Cress, and 6 more like this
Post by Saizomaru on Aug 29, 2019 15:06:39 GMT -6
So we've always seen something like this crop up every so often. But I've always been a big advocate for the Demon Realm in some incarnation ever since Souls. I created a similar thread back then which got quite a fair amount of support, so I thought it would be good to see if that still holds up now that we've got some new members and fresh faces to gather opinions form. So, now we shall move into the ins and outs of a potential Demon Realm, including how it would work, be structured, how characters could mechanically travel to and from it, how it could fit into the rest of the forum, any plot ramifications it may have, and more.
I would like to say that PLEASE only cast a vote on one of your accounts if you have multiple characters.
Also, Maple put me up to this, so don't burn me.
Why the Demon Realm?
I have always been of the mindset that the Demon Realm hosts a limitless possibly of not only different scenery but also a completely different form of roleplay dynamic that will likely not be found anywhere else.
I may be overgeneralizing things and thus come off as a bit close-minded, but I have always found that most of the already established places on WoD to be quite similar. Earth is, obviously, Earth. Vegeta is basically red Earth. Namek is green Earth. Arcose is no-sod-goes-there Earth (I kid. But seriously it needs more love). By this I mean that the dynamic of the planets are near the same: they all have a leader; they're, for the most part, somewhat peaceful; and, most importantly, they all have a deposition of established law and order.
The Demon Realm has no such thing. The Demon Realm is what you would think it to be; an evil place where there is no such thing as law and order unless it goes against the rule of a demon king. Everything in this place is in a state of chaos, inhabited by creatures and beings that are, for lack of a better term, bad. You could start a fight in a tavern and the bartender would be cheering you on. In terms of Dungeons and Dragons, Demon Realm would be the Ravenloft to WoD's Forgotten Realms.
One of the biggest notions against why we should have Demon Realm is because of lack of material, lack of canon sources, and the like. However, I would like to point out that we have Arcose, Brench and Beppa--three planets that have next to no information on them, canon or otherwise. Demon Realm, however, has more information than these areas, both canonically and not, combined. Also, with how vague the Demon Realm kind of is, it allows us the players to shape and mold it into something that can truly be unique to WoD, the same way that we have done Arcose.
How Would Demon Realm Work?The Demon Realm has not had much information on it in terms of what it actually is. We know it exists as a sort of small pocket dimension at the bottom of the DB universe, but we've not much else on this. However, we do know that it was expansive enough to contain multiple demon empires at once; Demigra, Mechikabura, Dabura and Shura were all slated as 'Demon Kings' despite all of them existing simultaneously at one point or another during their reigns. It is possible that the Demon Realm has various territories or kingdoms that belong to each of them. Coupled with the fact that Demigra and Mechikabura were two of the original group of wizards who created this realm, it makes the notion seem more plausible.
Another point of discussion is how one would travel to and from the dimension. The only information that we know is that it is on the very 'bottom' of the universe, segregated as its own small dimension outside of the 'living' universe. However, from various sources, we know it is possible to access it in various ways:
- Somewhere on Earth, there is a gateway that leads into the Demon Realm that connects to the Ankouku Rouka, the 'Dark Corridor'. This was established in Ep. 81 of Dragon Ball.
- The Supreme Kais, and possibly other Shinjin, can gain access to the Demon Realm when they exile bad Shinjin who were born from 'rotten fruit'. This was established in the Dragon Ball: Super Exciting Guide (2009)
- Demons themselves are able to move between the Demon Realm and the living universe through sheer magical power. This was established during Dragon Ball Heroes' Demon Realm Saga.
With these established paradigms, we can create something similar in vein but retooled and reworked to fit the mechanics of WoD. Some ideas that I have had in mind include:
- Create sub-forums in various locations that act similarly to the Space Travel Thread where a character makes a single-post thread dictating their travel from a planet to the Demon Realm. Earth can have use the already-established gateway to the Demon Realm through the Ankouku Rouka. Namek could have a temple created by the Mazoku that has a similar gateway. Other planets could have similar or possibly different means of accessing the realm.
- An anomaly has appeared in the deep reaches in space. This anomaly is, in actuality, a rift between dimensions in which the Demon Realm is beginning to bleed some of its power into the living universe, essentially taking the same of a sort of wormhole that connects the two realms together. This would establish the Demon realm as its own forum in a similar vein to Otherworld; it cannot be blown up or taken over, but anyone can join it so long as they have access to it. Travelling to the Demon realm would work in the same way one would travel to another planet, using a space ship or other means to travel through the wormhole.
- Shinjin could use their Kai-Kai ability to travel to and from the Demon Realm as they would any other board. In addition, Demons would have a similar trait or trainable technique that allows them to travel to and from the Demon Realm. If it would be a trait, it would function similar to Kai-Kai but only to travel between a planet and Demon Realm, sharing a similar cooldown with Shinjin's Kai-Kai. As a technique, it could be upgradeable to be able to take additional people. This technique could also be extended to Mazoku Namekians as well.
Now that I have as much as I can think of laid out here, you are all welcome to come in and discuss this possibility. I would greatly encourage you all to also make any suggestion, corrections, and the like, here as well so we can hopefully iron out some of the bugs here.
Thank ya all for reading!